Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Yeasayer - Odd Blood (2010)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I remember the first time I heard about Yeasayer. Late last year Under the Radar posted the NSFW video for "Ambling Amp" off their then-upcoming second album Odd Blood that featured mirror people, oddly covered slime, and a mob of naked people. I remember while not being entirely turned off by it, I also wasn't that intrigued. See, much like most classically trained musicians reaction to the word "Modern", I regard "experimental" with the same type of suspicion expecting something mind-blowing weird lacking almost completely in musicianship. It's not fair but I've been somewhat jaded in my first couple attempts to immerse myself. Fast forward to a week ago when on a whim I decided to listen to the album. Mind blowing was definitely a way to describe it, lack of musicianship was not. Synthesized voice effects of opener "The Children" aside, the album was a pleasantly surprising mix of soft rock with psychedelic dancepop and world influences. The experimental label comes from the band's songwriting and producing that seeks to recreate and evoke certain emotions using a multitude of ideas and tools.
I can't say I'm a direhard experimental fan now but what I can is that I'm definitely a fan of Yeasayer. Their album, a blend of pop for enjoyment-sake and deep artfully crafted genre-bending rock, is sure to appeal to everyone regardless of genre preference.

Get a taste with the music video for dancey second single "O.N.E":

No comments:

Post a Comment