Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pitstop: Teitur

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Don't know where the Faroe Islands are? Don't worry because about a year and a half ago I didn't either; until I discovered Teitur. Teitur might arguably be one of the greatest songwriters so it's a shame he's not more well known. His debut album Poetry & Airplanes, released in 2003 on Universal, drips with lovelorn weakness and an emotional intensity that few might find themselves ready for. Boasting lyrics like "I think about long distance rates instead of kissing you babe/I'm a singer without a song/If I wait for you longer my affection is stronger/And I was just thinking, merely thinking that this boat is sinking" in "I Was Just Thinking" that are both heartswelling and heartrending and augmented by his quiet peaceful folksy balladic style. He then parted with Universal due to creatives differences, starting his own label Arlo and Betty Records where he released his second album Stay Under the Stars in 2006. He even released an album in his native Faroese before releasing his fourth studio album The Singer in 2008. Despite subtle variations in instrumentation, listeners can still expect to hear the deeply invocative smooth style that doe-eyed Teitur has honed and made his trademark on all of his albums. If stellar songwriting is what you crave then look no further than Teitur.

Teitur recently released a compilation album All My Mistakes in the UK composed of what he considers to be the best tracks off his first two albums that were previously unreleased there, and is currently working on fifth album poised for a September release.

Hear what he sounds like with his song "Louis Louis" off Stay Under the Stars:

No comments:

Post a Comment