Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Vampire Weekend on Saturday Night Live

So after Jennifer Lopez's performance on SNL I was hoping for anything. So long as it wasn't a repeat of the unspeakable horror was I was forced to endure from anywhere between 7-10 minutes. Now I have nothing against Jennifer Lopez. She's put out some good albums, she's a competent dancer even despite that falling incident at who cares what awards show that was but her performance two weeks ago was simply horrible. Like Adam Lambert live horrible. Her singing sounded strained and her accuracy of her notes are probably still being debated by musicologists far and wide. While not a trainwreck it was just not a good performance. I'll admit I watched them because I thought she was gonna sing one of her older songs which I liked "Do It Well" and I was sorely disappointed.

Anyway, imagine my surprise when after that I saw that the next week's guests would be Vampire Weekend. I was estatic. Fast forward a week later and Vampire Weekend did not disappoint. Singing their first single off the latest album "Cousins" and then "Giving Up the Gun", I was positively giddly with boyish glee. I wouldn't have changed a thing about the performances. Well maybe Ezra Koenig's tendency to have the strangest looks on his face when the camera closes up but that's not really all that important now is it?

In a world where MTV no longer plays music videos or is anyway affiliated with music in general it's nice to know there's a place to go where, while not always but often, there's high caliber live performances and good music. Thanks SNL.

No comments:

Post a Comment