Friday, April 27, 2012

Here We Go Magic - "How Do I Know"/"Make Up Your Mind"

I've heard Brooklyn indie-pop quartet Here We Go Magic's name around for quite awhile but it was a stray tweet from ARMS' Todd Goldstein and a night with nothing to do that got me to finally listen to their music. The result was the fast-paced brand of pop rock I didn't know I was a looking for in the two new singles "How Do I Know" and "Make Up Your Mind" from the quartet's upcoming album A Different Ship.

"How Do I Know" starts simply enough, with undulating waves of sound before Luke Temple enters and ushers in the forward momentum-pushing drums. Layers and layers of instruments billow and sweep in all the while maintaining the songs simplicity.

 i-D Online: How Do I Know, Here We Go Magic by i-D online

"Make Up Your Mind" isn't all sunshine and bright playful instrumental interplay like "How Do I Know", there's a sort of rebellious rock swagger and tension as the track plods along - Temple's "make up your mind" ring out like shouts unpredictably, both soothing and inflaming the track's underlying tension.

 Here We Go Magic - "Make Up Your Mind" by Secretly Canadian


You can download both these new tracks from Here We Go Magic's upcoming album A Different Ship (out May 8th) by liking Secretly Canadian on Facebook here. You can also preorder the album here.






No comments:

Post a Comment