Thursday, July 18, 2013

Listen: North Highlands - "I'll Do My Best"

It sure has been awhile since we've heard from Brooklyn indie-pop quintet North Highlands. After releasing their debut album Wild One back in 2011 and re-releasing it on vinyl last year, the group have pretty much laid low playing the occasional show and working on new tunes. Which is where this new track comes in. "I'll Do My Best" the A side to a 7" set for a July 30th release is the first new North Highlands we've got in awhile and it's much more abrasive North Highlands than we've encountered before.

Summery to its very core, Brenda Malvini's vocals are still light as a feather but where previously the band shaped itself around complimenting that, this time out they're not quite so concerned. They don't ever run the risk of overwhelming her; that would be amateurish. Instead though on the swaggering beachy track the band really lays into it's rock edge. Not all at once though. There's an angular jangle that steadily mounts toward a brief but satisfying cacophonous conclusion.



North Highlands' "I'll Do My Best"/"Halo" 7" is out July 30th

No comments:

Post a Comment