Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Listen: Local Natives - "Breakers"

Whoa! Whoa whoa whoa! One of the ways I explained away not bringing my laptop with me to CMJ was the fact that I assumed any/all music news would more or less cease to exist that week. Apparently I was wrong. Turns out the only Local Natives news wasn't that they were the secret guests at a already sold out show where they played a bunch of new stuff from their new album. No, also they released a single and let some album details out. And I'm just discovering this now, two weeks after CMJ. Well, better late than never I suppose.

"Breakers", the first single off Local Natives upcoming sophomore record Hummingbird, is everything I didn't know I needed from Local Natives. It's familiar but obviously more than a rehashing of Gorilla Manor songs. It reminds me of everything I absolutely loved about "World News" in that it's a rock song that actually makes use of dynamics; bursting forth with a wordless chorus pretty much right out the gate. There's not only the cresting chorus but also the ever-rising intensity as the song bustles ever forward. It's enough to make your heart ache in the best way possible.

Welcome back, Local Natives. We missed you. "Breakers" is a sure-fire favorite because it's too good to be anything else. Making me all sorts of giddy and excited for Hummingbird. I'm sure it'll deliver the goods.
Listen to "Breakers":


Local Natives sophomore follow up Hummingbird will be out January 29th on Frenchkiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment